AS-MA
What do you think! Well, I’m about to talk about asthma. Yeah! I know the spelling is incorrect, I just wanted to give it a heroes welcome.
This condition as you may already know has claimed several lives in the past and most likely still will in the future. But how do we help to prevent these?
Most persons are usually not aware they have this condition. Some develop it in later years. For example, Cristina went for an audition and guess what? Several other persons came for the interview too, nearly over a thousand in such a small place. After an hour she’s getting sweaty, light headed (oh no! I haven’t felt this way before) and before you know it, she’s on the floor; gasping for air!
Many things could trigger an asthmatic attack including: stress, a strong smell/scent, allergy, vigorous physical activity, extremes of weather, smoke etc. Speaking of smoke I remember, in my first year in the university, a cousin of mine came to my school; she wanted to write for her Post-UTME which would aid her in getting admitted into the institution. Mind you, I had never seen an asthmatic patient before, I had only heard of it. And then it turns out she was one. Ofcourse I had no idea. The hostel room was quite small and she already didn’t seem comfortable especially with the other females present in the room and stealing her air. Lol. But hey, how could I have known if she didn’t tell me.
Okay! So to cap it up, one of my roommates friends was cooking with a stove. My cousin said she needed water and I didnt have at the moment so I decided to go buy for her downstairs. On my way, I decided to go back to the room; honestly I can’t remember what I forgot that made me go back up, so anyways, I got into the room. The girl was done cooking and she had turned off the stove(now stove brings out smoke when turned off). I was still coughing from it and holla! Everyone was staring at my cousin on the floor clutching her neck, gasping for breath.
I was in shock to be honest. Okay maybe they hadn’t seen an asthmatic patient before then, does that stop help? Well, I guess they were just in shock, for a longer period than I was. I know they use inhalers but where can I find one. So we decided to take her out of the room, out of the smoke. (I tell you, people are heavier when they aren’t conscious, and what is worse is when they aren’t breathing well or breathing at all because then, the whole body stiffens). Okay, we finally had to drag her on the floor out of the room because we couldn’t lift her and the space was quite cramped. Now, I’m trying to tell you something. When this kind of thing happens, one thing you have to do is take the person out of the area where the irritant is, someone with enough air.
Two, is you have to find out which the person uses, drugs or inhaler. Talk to them, they can hear you. Fortunately I was aware of these two options, so I asked her which of the bags to check and where, each for which she managed to respond with a nod. In an instant, the medicine worked. How we got through that day was a miracle. I really felt like I was born to save lives.
So anyway, I hope this story will help you when you are in a position to help someone else. Stay tuned.

Comments
Post a Comment