SUICIDE






Common and not common. But what is suicide? 
This refers to the taking of ones own life. Absurd isn’t it? Well no one was ever born with suicidal tendencies. This ideation develops with time from certain events that may have occurred. For some, it might be from huge financial loss, rejection, poverty, emotional problems, abuse, failure at school, etc. 

Sometime this year, in the months before now, it was a news common to us. Usually the victims died by sniper ingestion. It may seem to have reduced now but in reality, suicide is grossly underreported. 
Why do I say so? 
Two days ago, my neighbor on my street woke us with a loud cry, turns out she had lost her daughter (Drug overdose). Why? Well the young girl is just 16; I’m sure you can likely guess why. (If your guess isn’t correct, I’ll probably tell you myself). Well my point is, I’m pretty sure you didnt hear of this in the news.   

Or about the young man who has been suffering from an accident wound for a long time now, he could take the pain any longer and wanted an easy way out. For him, drug overdose. 
Well, It’s easy for you to assume it can never happen to you. You could boast to yourself, “nothing can ever make me commit suicide”. But do you think those persons thought it would happen to them to? But I think it takes a certain situation for you to realise what you can and cannot do. For example, I had your thinking until after an accident and I thought I was going to lose my leg, the thought of losing a body part scared me and oh well, guess who thought of suicide. 

These persons are close to us. They are not suicide ‘tagged’ but because they are close to us, be it family members, friends etc, it is in our hands to notice a sudden change in them and move on to help. For one thing, you never leave them by themselves. Hard as it may be, stay with them.
What fuels this.... We have human factors!! The family, peers, school, the government, even religion. 
Hopefully, we get to talk about these persons and the role they play. 
Stay tuned.

Comments